Seventy Five North + AIM Institute - Highlander Code Camp for H.S. Students
Seventy Five North Revitalization Corp. and AIM Institute have partnered to address the growing tech talent gap that exists among women, people of color and lower-income individuals through the Highlander Tech Talent Initiative. In addition to the 10-week AIM Interface School: Highlander program for adults, the initiative includes a 7-week web development summer camp for high school students called Highlander Code Camp. Currently in its 3rd year, the annual camp enrolls 15 students either living in or attending school in north Omaha and focuses on website creation, project management, job readiness and other life skills.
Outside of the in-class curriculum, Highlander Code Camp participants will gain exposure to business leaders with firms in the greater Omaha area from startups to larger organizations through onsite visits and guest lectures. Through these interactions, our team hopes to inspire and motivate students to pursue opportunities in tech.
Interested in applying? Check out details below:
Program schedule: June 4 - July 27, 2018 (includes a camp break from July 2 - July 6)
Meeting times: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 3:00pm
TYPICAL DAILY CLASSROOM SCHEDULE:
- 9:00am - 9:30am: Breakfast (included for free with the camp)
- 9:30am - 12:00pm: In class instruction
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00p - 3:00pm: will vary based on the instructor's plan for the day, but may include group work, field trips, yoga and more!
- Treat instructors, mentors, and classmates with respect
- Attend every class
- Be curious
- Ask for help
- Commit to attending all 7-weeks of camp
- Attend one of the following High Schools: Omaha North, Omaha Benson, Omaha Northwest or Omaha Central
- Live in one of the following zip codes: 68110, 68111, 68104, 68132
- Qualify for free/reduced lunch
- Rising sophomore, junior or senior
- Interested in pursuing a career or college pathway in technology: graphic design, digital media and marketing, programmer, game developer, project manager, business analyst, information security professional, and other careers related to tech.
STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Dedicated instruction and mentorship
- Laptop (to keep)
- Two meals per day (breakfast + lunch)
- Monthly bus pass, if needed
- Attendance-based stipend
A TYPICAL WEEK OF CAMP WILL INCLUDE:
- Classroom-style instruction
- Group work
- Mindfulness training
- One-on-one mentoring
- Field trip to a local startup or business
- Field trip to an art show, a play, etc.
code camp Application process
Highlander Code Camp applications open March 12, 2018 and close April 27, 2018. The selection process for the program follows:
- March 12 - April 27, 2018: Complete an online application and assessment. Click below to begin the application process. Online applications and assessments are required for participation consideration.
- April 28: Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be notified. Interviews will take place at the applicant's school.
- April 30 - May 9: Interviews for will be held at participating schools.
- May 10: Candidates selected to participate in the course will be notified.
- May 16: Parent and student orientation for selected candidates. During this session, students and parents will complete all required paperwork to participate in the program including a participation agreement, laptop agreement, photo releases, etc.
- June 4: First day of class!
- July 27: Graduation!